Sunday, February 6, 2011

indirect orders



You have been given direct orders to rock out.

Rock out like the moon moves for you. Rock out like you were born with butterflies in your stomach. Rock out like you died a martyr.

Rock out like Hell doesn't want you.

Rock out like you're seeing the sun for the first time. 

Rock out because this is all we've got and oh yes it's short and oh yes it's sad but rock out because it's ours and we don't deserve it. Rock out like a flightless bird with your head in the clouds. Rock out like you swallowed a sheet of staff paper and now you sing so prettily.

Rock out like you're freezing to death, so rock out to keep yourself alive.

Rock out like you're hitting all the same notes as Dinah Washington and you're reaching higher and she's falling behind because no one can sing jazz like you can.

Rock out like you've got no spine. 

Rock out like you're burning alive.

Rock out like no one ever told you that you can't. Rock out like you're invincible (you are, you are). Rock out like your mouth has been unstitched after 17 long years. Rock out like it's the dead of July and snow begins to fall.

Rock out like the Empire State Building wasn't high enough for you, so you just decided to fly up to the clouds.

Rock out like you've held your breath for too long.  Rock out like it's 1986 and you're pretty in pink.

Rock out like you're not shy and sullen and semi-agnostic and socially awkward and so so so starry-eyed, because look at you: you've turned alliteration into an art form.

Rock out like you look pretty in the dusty dressing room mirror at the mall (never going to happen). Rock out like you're finally old enough.

Rock out like you're burning on the sun.

Rock out like you finally, finally woke up with freckles. Rock out like his lips were softer, and a little less sarcastic, than you had imagined.

Rock out like Pluto is a planet again.

Rock out like you're under cardiac arrest but your heartbeat is still so loud in your ears. 

Rock out like you got your learner's permit (because it's not like we know what getting our license feels like). Rock out like this young world is getting younger. Rock out like you take out your contacts and you can see everything.

Rock out like I'm not wasting your time.

Rock out like you're stopping traffic; like you've got 'em falling at your feet.



Cheers, 
Syl


9 comments:

  1. Rock out like you wear classy sweaters! i think your indirect orders are quite beautiful my favorite is "Rock out like you're freezing to death, so rock out to keep yourself alive." keep it up cheetah girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know if the freckles thing really means anything..but I would definitely rock out if i woke up with freckles. may sound stupid but REALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rock out because this is all we've got and oh yes it's short and oh yes it's sad but rock out because it's ours and we don't deserve it.
    all your lines were really good! but this one is my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was really good. And I'm not trying to be tactful. This was really good.

    This is one of my favorites so far. You're so specific and seemingly random at times. But the lines make sense. But not too much sense. I'm rambling now. See, this is what this piece did to me.

    I'll say it one more time. This was really good. (I usually post one of my favorite lines, but there are too many here.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this. Perfectly personal to you but I can still relate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Nelson... I kept coming across lines I wanted to talk about in a comment, but literally EVERY line was worth praising. This was by far the best Rock Out post i've seen. Amazing job, seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think one of MY favorite lines was "Rock out like your mouth has been unstitched after 17 long years." I have no idea how old you are but I'm 17... and to me it said that you were finally able to speak for the first time. Like you've been given permission to say what you feel, and THAT is beyond awesome! Just incase you were wondering, yes I really liked it. It was unique and original!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rock out like you take out your contacts and you can see everything.

    Worship this because I wear contacts and this would be amazing if it happened to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow this is really great.

    ReplyDelete

tell me all about it